Monday, November 18, 2013

DAY 157

Back in high school where my world revolved around Gossip Girl and all things Blair and Serena, I bought these mustard yellow tights in an attempt to emulate Blair's "New York City chic" style. After wearing them once and getting several unsympathetic reactions ("your tights remind me of McDonald's"- one of my guy friends. Guys never do understand high fashion) I hid them in the back of my closet and never wore them again. It would appear that the fashion and lifestyle of Blair Waldorf is not exactly conducive to a DC suburb. 

Hoping that university students would be a bit more open minded, I decided to wear them again today because the weather was surprisingly nice for mid-November. To keep them muted, I kept the rest of the outfit pretty simple, with neutral colours and over-the-knee boots that only allowed a little bit of the yellow colour to show through. 

Conclusion: when it comes to fashion and trends, most guys are just as clueless in university as they were in high school. The tights did not go over well with them. But that doesn't really matter, because fashion is about expressing what you want and not dressing for anyone else, a lesson I have taken to heart seeing as much of my wardrobe is not exactly your "typical" American student's taste. I've learned not to care. Otherwise I wouldn't wear my massive hoop earrings or blazers with shoulder pads in a school where everyone walks around in Vineyard Vines on a regular basis. 






Sweater- Forever 21
Black dress- my roommate's
Earrings- Vintage
Boots- JustFab
Tights- Forever 21
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment